Skip to main content

Yoga Week 5

This week I practiced Iyengar yoga in class. The instructor’s name was Amita Baghat and it lasted for over an hour. This was a nice practice because it was not too challenging, but we did do some fun poses. I enjoyed how the instructor taught us as she led the yoga practice. She would pause to teach about Iyengar yoga and to show us how to get into poses. It was only difficult for her to show us the full pose because the camera could not capture either the top or bottom of her body, but she did move most of the time for us to see her full body from different angles. 

Practice spaces do build a sense of community within all of the yogis in the class. Even though online yoga classes I still feel connected because we are all doing the same thing together. Always when someone asks a question or says they are having trouble doing a certain pose I can relate. Having a relationship with your class is important even if it is just knowing everyone is supportive. It is much harder to have a relationship with your class online, but since everyone is going through the same thing by being online it still builds a sense of community.


A community is a group of people with a common interest or goal. This fits very well within the yoga community because most of the people are interested in yoga, have the same feelings towards yoga, and sometimes even the same beliefs. Its purpose in the studio is to bring everyone together to perform the practice and connect to their higher selves. I feel as if I am becoming part of this community the more I do yoga. I understand and appreciate yoga more and more especially since we have to do a practice at least once a week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga Week 1

For my first week of yoga I decided to take a youtube class at home. I found a youtube channel called YogiAproved.com. It had 193,000 subscribers so I decided it was a good channel to try. They have many different types of videos for all levels of yoga. I chose the video called “gentle yoga flow 30-minutes all levels yoga class.” I have done yoga quite a few times in the past, but it has been a few months since I have taken a class and I have not been very active so I did not want to push my limits on my first class.  I took the class Friday evening after my internship. I laid out my yoga mat in my room which I consider to be a very relaxing place. I have many plants and I turned on my essential oil diffuser and put in lavender essential oil to try to make it feel more like a peaceful yoga studio. I have been looking forward to this all week, but I was honestly very tired from work so I couldn’t wait to be finished with it. The instructor made the video background minimalist with o...

Yoga Week 2

This week I took a longer class which was an hour long. I found it on youtube by searching an hour long yoga class because most seem to be 15 to 30 minutes long. This class was called “Your Breath Of Life Yoga” which was don e at British Columbia, Canada. The channel was called Boho Beautifu l and the instructor's name was Juliana Spicoluk. It was a very peaceful and relaxing yoga class. It did not feel like a workout at all, instead it felt like a deep stretch. The poses were not hard, but since we had to hold each pose for a good amount of time it was also not easy. It was a nice class after a long week of work and classwork. What makes a space sacred to me is feeling safe, comfortable and relaxed. When you walk into a space that makes you feel this way you instantly feel good which would make it feel like a sacred space to me. In the video the place is a slow relaxing toon in the background. It is not a song, it is like a musical melody which brought peace and calmness to me. Th...