Skip to main content

Yoga Week 7

This week I did a vinyasa yoga class. The class was from a youtube channel called Floating Yoga School. It was about an hour long and there were many students in the class to look at for example. This class was very enjoyable because there were a lot of poses I have already learned. I also enjoyed how there were headstands involved because I attempted it and I was actually able to hold it for a little bit of time. The practice was challenging because it was so long and we had to hold the poses for a good amount of time, but it was also very enjoyable.

Yoga was very traditional at first when it started in the east. It was a part of life that enlightened and raised you to a higher level. As it came to the west it became a counter-culture practice because it started breaking traditional yoga. After more time passed it became pop culture. Yoga is now more of a trend middle-class women attend. It is not used so much for enlightenment, but for a good body and to fit in.  


Yoga in the west has been affected because people try to sell it in different ways which alter it drastically. In a film we watched in class there was a “tough” yoga class for men even though originally yoga was a dominantly male activity. In the west, more women do it than men. In general, yoga is practiced in the west to build a better body, become more fit and to be part of a trend. People also do it to destress and relax. 


LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZRvdbG54H4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga Week 1

For my first week of yoga I decided to take a youtube class at home. I found a youtube channel called YogiAproved.com. It had 193,000 subscribers so I decided it was a good channel to try. They have many different types of videos for all levels of yoga. I chose the video called “gentle yoga flow 30-minutes all levels yoga class.” I have done yoga quite a few times in the past, but it has been a few months since I have taken a class and I have not been very active so I did not want to push my limits on my first class.  I took the class Friday evening after my internship. I laid out my yoga mat in my room which I consider to be a very relaxing place. I have many plants and I turned on my essential oil diffuser and put in lavender essential oil to try to make it feel more like a peaceful yoga studio. I have been looking forward to this all week, but I was honestly very tired from work so I couldn’t wait to be finished with it. The instructor made the video background minimalist with only

Yoga Week 3

This week’s practice was done in class with a guest yoga instructor, Diane Polli. She was a very sweet lady with 50 years of experience. The type of yoga done was called Bikram which is a healing yoga. It was the longest practice I think I have ever done. It lasted about an hour and a half. My muscles are very tired and I will probably be sore. The poses were interesting, but holding each pose for ten or more seconds is what made the yoga challenging. I enjoyed the more difficult yoga because I felt as if I am advancing with my yoga skills. My favorite part was the end. Her chants felt very special. I really liked how they were for safeness/protection, healing and enlightenment. Yoga is definitely more than just exercise. It can be many things like a stress relief method, a way to connect your mind and body, a way to feel more balanced, etc. Different people use it for different reasons. This is why there are so many different types of yoga and yoga classes. Like bikram yoga is done fo

Yoga Week 5

This week I practiced Iyengar yoga in class. The instructor’s name was Amita Baghat and it lasted for over an hour. This was a nice practice because it was not too challenging, but we did do some fun poses. I enjoyed how the instructor taught us as she led the yoga practice. She would pause to teach about Iyengar yoga and to show us how to get into poses. It was only difficult for her to show us the full pose because the camera could not capture either the top or bottom of her body, but she did move most of the time for us to see her full body from different angles.  Practice spaces do build a sense of community within all of the yogis in the class. Even though online yoga classes I still feel connected because we are all doing the same thing together. Always when someone asks a question or says they are having trouble doing a certain pose I can relate. Having a relationship with your class is important even if it is just knowing everyone is supportive. It is much harder to have a rela